Thursday, 3 June 2010
Day 2 in Delhi - that's enough
Today was a funny ole day. We went to the Red Foot (though the name is really the Red Fort, but it sounded like foot when they said it the first time around) and looked around, but it seems that we were more of the attraction than the Fort, as many Indians asked to take photos with us and one even handed me their child to hold for the photo, bless him, as his body went totally limp in my arms! Funnily enough, we woke up at about noon after being called by reception telling us our taxi will be over an hour late (Delhi Time, gotta get used to it) so we missed our free breakfast. The AC was not working last night or the TV so we played rummy all night - mom, I know you would have loved that, and we have survived on a Pepsi and some water all day. Mmmmmm. No tummy issues yet and I think I have lost 1 stone already just through sweating...not Al, as she is tiny already. We also went to a Muslim Mosque and just sat outside of it looking at the busy city streets below, as we were very traumatized after a very thin woman with a malnourished baby chased our rickshaw through the city streets begging for money. It is REALLY hard to see that, but you do get a bit harsh and hardcore when it comes to handing out money...or at least I do while Alex just wants to take them all home! Off to Agra tomorrow to see the Taj Mahal...will be nice to get out of Delhi. Not to worry Wendy, we will go back again when you arrive in July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey u guys! Thanks to Dad, I've been able to access your blog. Look at me, I've become so computerized! India sounds like an interesting place. Despite a few hardships: no TV, no AC, a missed free breakfast, slipping on urinal floors, living on Pepsi & water (a new diet trend?), you sound terrific! Watching documentaries on TV about poverty in other countries is not the same as seeing dire poverty first hand. Must be an eye opening experience! Hard to imagine....
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear your impression of the Taj Mahal! I've seen pictures & know the story of how & why it was built, but would love to hear what you think. Take care. Love you! Mom
Hi...sounds like you are experiencing life as the natives see it. Its sounds like you are having a great time. I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your comments of the Taj Mahal.
ReplyDeleteAlan
Melissa & Alex, I am so excited to hear about your adventures. You are so funny. I don't think I would like traveling through India according to your observations. Please be very careful. Love, Grandma
ReplyDeleteaside from your obvious beauty, why did they want pics of you?
ReplyDelete