Hunter Valley wine region...what a place. Alex and I decided to splurge, which I think we must do a lot, as our bank accounts are dwindling, but honestly this was the best splurge to date and it all came alive in the Hunter Valley. We thought it would be fitting to do a bit of wine tasting on New Year's Eve day, as in our younger years we would have purchased a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 or some other equally retched pseudo alcoholic beverage and start drinking early to be completing obliterated by midnight, but as we are older, more mature, with a bit more cooth if you will, we decided to join wine tasting group that ventures to 5 different wineries as well as a smelly cheese shop, which is actually called the Smelly Cheese Shop and then to a chocolate to end, which has a gorgeous little gelateria that we of course indulged in.
We met our tour group, which consisted of about 8 others...quite small...and there was only 1 annoying person in the group, which was a blessing...she was from Holland and was one of those people who think they know everything about wine...and she got a little drunker, she became a right connoisseur of fine wines. I truly could have smacked her about the face a dozen times, but that would be undignified and I am one dignified lady, let me tell you. Other than that, we were surrounded by an eclectic and interesting group of people...an Indian couple who bought crates of wine, a couple on their 2-week honeymoon (they are from America hence the short length of time), a couple from Nigeria who live in Sydney with their baby Christian...very cute, but into everything and he was also Albino so had to remain shrouded from the sun at every moment...boy after my own heart really. We all boarded a very well air-conditioned van that took us from vineyard to wine cellar and all around the Valley. Our first stop was at Ernest Hill, a boutique style wine cellar meaning they only sell directly from their winery, therefore you cannot find their wines in any shops abroad or even locally. What a great marketing plow, as everyone purchased wine from this vineyard, but honestly, the owner who presented the wine to us told such a great story and personalized each wine tasting experience with his idea of the perfect meal and set the ideal scene mad us all feel cozy and a part of his family for that brief hour. What a salesman...honestly, he just really feels the wine and as it is a family owned vineyard and has been forever, it means a lot of him. Traditionally, the family members are cremated when they die and their ashes are spread on a section of the vineyard and that is how they name their wines...very touching. Alex and I really got into dessert wines that day...we purchased a couple of bottles to cherish and share with our friends and family when we return from our adventure.
Next we were whisked off to a giant corporate winery and what a difference from Ernest Hill. This wine tasting took place in a giant room with dozens of other tasting groups crammed at the bar. We could not sit down, like we did around wine barrels at Ernest Hill, and it was a scream-fest competition from the wine pourers to be heard amongst the noise. It lacked the calm personal atmosphere so we were not that interested...and we were a bit tipsy by this time anyway. It was so nice to break up the wine tasting with a stop at the Smelly Cheese shop for some cheese tasting and other free samples...you know Alex and I ran around the shop eating dozens of free olives, bread bits dipped in spicy and smooth olive oils, cheese and other bits. It was free after all and we are backpackers at the end of the day and despite wearing the best of disgusting travel outfits to sort of blend in with the rest of the tour group, our roots are ghetto and that is where they will stay. Onto our gourmet lunch...hmmm...gourmet...now I don't mean to sound like a snob or anything...I live in a van after all, but this was a bit of a let down. We were expecting some real Gordan Ramsey style fare, but we were met with bowls of salad and pasta to share with the entire table...and we all know how much I hate sharing food with people. No wine or dessert was included with this lunch either, so alas I sucked it up and did not complain and left silently to our final 3 wineries and a chocolate shop.
There was only 1 truly memorable vineyard in the remaining three and that was the Mistletoe Winery, which was both a vineyard and an art gallery with loads of random sculptures littering the vineyard and front lawn and paintings and sculptures inside the tasting area. It is a tiny wine cellar owned by a couple who planted their first seed over 20 years ago after the husband became obsessed with wine and the wine culture. They have won and lost everything in this career choice, but have a love for it that is unmatched by any other vineyard owner we met that day...well, except for old Ernest Hill Again, this is a boutique style winery which causes me more panic in that you can only purchase the wine directly from the winery...such a shame and such a stress inducing situation I find myself in. Al seems to be alright reminding me that there are gorgeous wines from all over the world that you CAN purchase in shops around the world, but this does little to quell my visceral butterflies. We left our final winery that day feeling heady and relaxed and filled up on a plethora of free samples at the chocolate shop. Did you know that they will give you the free chocolates that fall on the floor and break...you just have to ask?!?! This is true folks, I am here to tell you that I personally investigated this for all of you at home and can assure you that if you go into any posh chocolate shop and ask for any chocolates that have fallen on the floor and broken, they will give them to you and that is how Alex and I ended our day...eating chocolates from the floor. It doesn't get much classier than that. (just a side note - when back in Melbourne, several days later, I asked for some floor chocolates in Haigh Chocolates and was granted 4 samples for me, Al and friends...I'll leave you with that...).
It may be hard to believe, but Alex and I subsequently drove 2 hours back to Sydney on New Year's Eve day against the traffic, found a parking spot, made a BBQ on our hot plate and ventured to the Rocks across from the Sydney Opera House to watch the famous fireworks display that night. After my wine buzz dwindled and I realized that we were in crowds of millions next to the icy cold harbour with winds ever gusting, my New Year's attitude took a nose dive and I was over it...youngsters wearing next to nothing in an array of sparkly prostitute outfits, drunkards pissing on the sides of buildings, people fighting to get ever closer to the barriers blocking people from falling into the water...honestly, I was over it. Alex pushed me to remain positive and not go home (well back to the van) and boy am I glad I did. The fireworks display was unbelievable. It was literally a 360 degree display of glowing blasts going off constantly for 30 minutes...lighting up the sky leaving billows of smoke after each round of explosions. I was frantic and did not know where to look first...I found myself spinning around in circles leaving Alex in charge of taking photos and videos. I think they try to 'one up' themselves each year with the fireworks display and quote honestly, I don't know how they will do that next year...a 360 degree display!!! How can that be topped? Once it ended, and the realization that we had a 3 hour bus ride (due to waiting and traffic) back to the van and bladders so full that they would kill a small child, a bit of negativity crept back into me...but I just thought about my glorious last day of 2010 and what lies ahead for me and Al in 2011 and all was right with the world. Happy New Year!
Monday, 3 January 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you & Alex might have found that second career you've been looking for...packaging floor chocolates for shipment to the UK & the US! Don't think y'all would have too many competitors! Saw the fireworks on CNN....fantastic!! Glad you got an opportunity to see them close up! Must have been quite a sight! Happy New Year!! Lots of love, Mom xxx
ReplyDelete