Monday, 24 January 2011

I admit it...I was wrong

It takes a lot for people to admit when they were wrong and when I say people I mean myself and I am here announcing it loud and proud that I was wrong...oh so wrong about New Zealand. Now, I blame this on my devotion to Australia and my difficulties with goodbyes, which has plagued me since I was teeny tiny, but honestly, NZ had a lot to prove and began with 0%...like I said, she needed to prove herself to me and earn that 100%. So far NZ is on the road to a perfect score. Not to be negative, but the weather has been in a word...shit, but I cannot hold this against the old girl, as it is the desecration of Earth by we humans that is to blame here and with global warming heating up and cooling down pretty much everything, I am sure there can be more horrific moments of weather and elements to come. So, now that I have gotten this off my chest, we can move onto the good stuff and boy oh boy is there a load of good stuff. We began in Auckland (still not my favourite place), but once we headed out of town north on our quest for the Cape...Cape Reinga that is...the most northern tip of New Zealand which I described in previous blogs, but I have seriously had dreams about this place and the colours and smell of the air...magical. We did take a mini break in Russell where we met some lovelies and had a grand old day prior to the 'end of the world' climb to the Cape, but on our way back down the west coast, we stopped in Raglan and if Alex hadn't have pulled me away, I could have stayed there for the entire 6 weeks we have dedicated to the whole to NZ. This is smallish, yet big enough to keep me entertained, surf town and it is stupendous. You can seriously spend every single day engaging in some new terrifically sporty activity that even entices me...with such hobbies as sitting in a coffee shop, walking slowly around shops, reading magazines and just relaxing. With Al by my side, we all know that said activities were NOT accomplished or enjoyed; however, we did engage in such activities as making up new and exciting personal training sessions on the beach which involved running up and down a giant hill and doing burpees and other torturous exercises, briskly walking (slight jog for yours truly) along the coastal walk to ensure we witnessed every single beach and sunset there was on offer and creating some delicious recipes to add to our cook book Bowl of Bland and Other Treats that we intend to publish in the near future. Honestly, I loved every minute and that is no lie. If I could have forced Alex to stay, we would have taken a weeks worth of surfing lessons followed by a few days of kayaking and then some tubing (which is actually when you sit on a tube that is tied to a speed boat and they spin you around along the water until you get thrown off to all spectator's amusement and delight). We would have also rented bikes and ridden up and down the hills (well, I would have most likely walked my bike up the hills and then squeezed the brakes to their squeaky demise all the way back down them), but just to paint the picture of how active and amazing this place was...not to mention the naturally smooth and fruity NZ ice cream and creamiest cappuccinos ever and they always ask, "chocolate or cinnamon?" Honestly, the cinnamon wins me over every time! Dreamland...honestly...dreamland. Luckily, my depression about leaving Raglan was quickly dismantled during our trek to the Waitomo Caves...certainly the most amazing I have ever been to...and I do love a cave/cavern. When I was a kid, my dad used to take my sister and I on Daddy Daughter road trips all around America and Mexico and one such holiday that sticks out in my mind is a journey through Carlsbad Caverns...such a treat. I also remember the horrendous photos of me in said cavern wearing some very tight and high waisted turquoise sweat pants that were just a bit too short that I just loved to wear during my hike down it...such a shame. So Alex and I decided on the 2 cave package, despite the myriad of very expensive choices and cave packages, but I think we chose wisely, as we ventured through the Glow Worm Cave, which ends with a boat tour in the pitch black silence of the cave where thousands upon thousands of glow worms, which are really larvae, though glow worm sounds so much more romantic, illuminate the cave ceiling like stars in the night sky. Apparently, they have some sort of enzyme in their bodies that glows more brightly depending on how hungry they are...they thrive in wet caves, as they prey on mosquitoes, sand flies and midges (therefore I LOVE the glow worm) and must be in such wet areas to feed. After this, we were taken to the Ruakuri Cave that opens to an impressive spiral staircase like ramp that takes you down inside the cave for a 2 hour tour on suspended iron bridges all through the vast caverns of limestone and glow worms (though not as many as in the Glow Worm Cave). It was cold and we struggled to take good photos while in the cave, though you know I annoyed everyone on the tour, as I tried each and every setting until I found a few that worked. I don't really care, as this is my trip and I want some photos damn it! True American spirit...that's me! If we had more time and more money, we would have joined a group tour where you...and I quote..."abseil 30m into the Ruakuri Cave, float in a wetsuit on an inner tube down a river that flows through the Ruakuri Cave, then leap off a small waterfall and then floating through a long, glow worm-covered passage ending with some cave climbing." Wow! Off we zoomed from the caves to New Plymouth where we were marooned for the next 2 days due to torrential downpours...and I am talking rain folks. Sheets of freezing rain that hit you from the side with wind gusts that were knocking down almost every branch from the trees lining the main street. We made it to the cinema, just barely, and saw Burlesque...not the best, but entertaining none the less. We also sat in a coffee shop reading and charging our phone and camera battery for the rest of the afternoon. We managed to drive to Paritutu, which is a scraggly, yet steep hill that offers amazing views of the city, nearby Mt Taranaki and the sea on a clear day, but it was no clear day. Alex actually pondered climbing this monster in the storm, but decided against it when, as we watched random bits of trees fly off the top of it...but tomorrow is another day, isn't it...and we did climb it the following day when the rain subsided...and it was painful and a little bit scary to boot. I was alright with the 238 stairs leading up the side, but when you then had to rock climb a very steep 15 minute uphill trek with only a chain that was attached to the side of the rocks to hold on to, but I think I was pushed over the edge when Alex then made me run up and down those 238 steps 3 more times while timing me each go...I almost puked, but ended with a personal best of 6 minutes 35 seconds. Her best was 4 minutes 12 seconds...whatever! Off we zoomed again down the SH3 highway towards Wellington, our final stop before heading to the south island. On our way down, I read about a lovely little cafe called Casa Pequena that is described as a "trapped-in-time-warp tearoom with fresh, filling food, cheap as chips, served in a disarmingly retro coffee lounge with coffee served in remarkable mugs." Well, needless to say, I was excited...small quaint town, hip trendy quirky coffee shop, yes please! How disappointing it was when we discovered (only after walking in and ordering) that it has clearly been sold to someone who has changed the whole decor and demeanour of the place...please see the blog for a picture of the "remarkable mug of coffee" that I indulged in. So much for advertising...Because I got to request a stop on Sratford for a less than spectacular coffee, Alex got her wish to stop in Wanganui to climb stuff...it is amazing how many things there are to climb in NZ. We took an hour pit stop to climb up the 176 steps in the War Memorial Tower overlooking the city and then climbed up the Durie Hill Elevator machinery room to see the exact same view only from less high up. We also took some time to visit the Chronicle Glass Studio to watch some glass blowing classes in action. Now this was my idea and quite honestly seems like a hobby I could really sink my teeth into. Alex amused herself by pointing out the age and demographics of the people taking the class highlighting that they were all over the age of 50 and a bit dowdy and frumpy. It would appear that my interests are beginning to mature and I cannot help it if I am drawn to the more relaxing and intellectually stimulating activities in my older years...I understand that people Alex's tender age still enjoy risking their lives and jumping from things that are too high to climb and climbing things that are accessible. Maybe in her 30s we will re-evaluate her interests and hobbies. Despite all of these stop offs, we made it to the lovely Wellington in one piece and weather quite honestly has been superb. We toured around all day riding in the local cable car, strolling through the Botanic Garden, visiting the Katherine Mansfield home (she is NZ's most famous author) and of course taking the famous Lonely Planet Walking Tour of the city, which was actually wonderful. We saw a lot of government buildings, as you do on such tours, but also glided down Cuba Street where I partook in a spectacular coffee and some people watching. We booked our ridiculously expensive ferry tickets to the South Island and have spent the evening catching up on blogs, emails and uploading photos...and charging things. After this, we will cook a bowl of bland that includes generic brand beans, generic brand eggs and potatoes with a tiny bit of cheese sprinkled on top. We have some generic brand canned string beans that we may eat as well to get our 5-a-day...so many recipes of bowl of bland we just don't know what to eat from day to day...we are spoiled for choice. We are also spoiled for choice when it comes to both of our wardrobes, which will be burnt in a ceremony upon our return...I must say I have never hated the 5 dresses that I brought with me more than I do right now...and I know Al feels the same about her green tank tops...and the black ones...and the grey ones...oh happy days when we set them alight in a bonfire.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos! New Zealand is a beautiful country....the scenery is spectacular! But, I hardly recognize your skydiving face! Still, you & Alex looked like you had a great time!! Jumping out of a plane at 14,000 feet??? That idea must have come from your Dad's gene pool!! Love you! Mom xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is that you liked and enjoyed Cape Reinga. Sometimes weather does not do what we would expect, so we have to find options to spend the day without complaining. I remember when I made my argentina travel it rained only one day an I did not know what to do. Fortunately, we found about about some museums that were open and the day turned out to be wonderful.
    Cheers,
    KIm

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.