Sunday, 2 January 2011

The Tim Tam

Tim Tam, Tim Tam, Tim Tam...who invented you and who invented the Tim Tam slam?! A Tim Tam is a cookie that is made from two malted chocolate biscuits with light chocolate cream on the inside and then the whole thing is them dipped in chocolate. They come in a myriad of flavoured varieties such as dark chocolate, original, white chocolate, double dipped, mint, caramel and crunchie to name a few and 400 million Tim Tam biscuits are eaten every single year. Biting into a Tim Tam is a special moment...the flavours and textures together make this cookie one for the history books, but what is particularly special is the Tim Tam slam. I don't know who invented this, maybe the person who created the Krispy Kreme cheese burger (where you use 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a bun for your cheeseburger instead of bread buns). What you do is bite the opposing corners of the Tim Tam cookie and then use it as a straw to suck your coffee up...or tea or hot chocolate. This action subsequently melts the chocolate running through the middle of the biscuit and softens the cookies as well making it necessary to shove the whole rest of biscuit into your mouth immediately. Luckily it is in a rectangular shape, which makes using it as a straw possible. Then, you want another and another and before you know it, the nine that come in a pack are all gone. You may feel sad, confused even suicidal at this point (either because the entire package is gone or you had the break the 9th one in half to share it), but fear not, as there was a special offer...2 packs for $4...so you have a whole other pack to demolish. It is hard to describe a Tim Tam to those who have not tried it, but the person who I know would cherish it and the Tim Tam slam is one who enjoys any sort of crunchy tasty treat with their coffee, but makes sure to take a giant sip of their beverage in order to soften the treat inside their mouth...I can think of one person who enjoys this activity. I honestly have not ever experienced anything as tasty and magical...next to eating a Lamington...in all my days. I do love a biscuit, and I have eaten many in my day, but these are special and having a cookie that comes with an actual method or technique for consumption is truly spectacular. Honestly, the caramel ones are the only ones I enjoy without the slam part...all the rest require the hot beverage accoutrement to bring out the magical flavour and richness of the Tim Tam. I have done a bit of research and luckily these cookies that are created by Arnott's in Australia are also created and distributed by their sister company Pepperidge Farm in America and are sold at Target and Cost Plus World Market. They are sold at the local Sainsburys in the UK so everyone can enjoy these whimsical delights...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Tim Tam experience, Melissa! I'm on my way to Target right now!! Love ya lots!!! Mom xxx

    P.S. Absolutely love the pictures, especially the hat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.