Friday, 13 August 2010
Where are we?
We woke up nice and early to make our way to the Harbour for a ferry ride to a small island called Batam...why...we still do not know. I think we thought that is where you go to take additional ferries to Bali(our desired destination)...and that is the case, but only on Wednesdays. So we are stuck here and it isn't the greatest place, nor the worst to be stuck. But, they smoke here...I mean like inside of shops, restaurants, the cinema - everywhere. I feel like I am back in the 80s of something. All food is fried here and I don't think that they get many tourists here either. None of the menus or signs are in English (which we have grown accustomed to in Singapore) and no one really speaks English...to be expected in Indonesia, and they eat meat with everything...I mean everything. It took about 30 minutes to order some rice with JUST vegetables, as the waitress kept coming out to ask us if we wanted those JUST vegetables with pork, or chicken, or beef, or some sort of seafood item. We decided to pass some time here in the local pseudo Walmart purchasing very cheap shampoo and new toothbrushes and then wen to see a movie...The Expendables...which was dire, but entertaining, I guess. A lot of blood and gratuitous violence, but really cool action scenes and motorcycles. We both cannot make it until Wednesday to escape this place so we are trying to book a cheapish flight to Bali or Jakarta so we can get to some semblance of tourist normalcy with some sites or at least a walk we can go on. We are stuck in a "mall" that is all too reminiscent of the Treaty Centre Shopping Mall on Hounslow High Street..a gem really. Or for all you Americans/Texans, think of Westgate Mall before they just tore that sucker down (minus the ice skating rink, but there are plenty of Karaoke bars). They just LOVE their Karaoke bars...me...not so much. We did go to another "tattoo" shop to look at some shit tattoo books with bootlegged pictures of other artists' tattoos and now we are trying to plot our escape from Batam Island. I hope we can escape without getting lung cancer from all the second hand smoke, which I can literally smell at this very moment due to some youths lighting up at the computer next to us...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just saw your latest photos! FABULOUS!! You & Alex look terrific! Melissa, you're right about that picture of you with the lion. It does remind me of the Human Lion restaurant. We had many nice meals there, didn't we? Your going to Bali reminds me of the of the black 'n' white "Road" pictures that starred Bob Hope & Bing Crosby. They were made before my time, of course, but I've seen them on the movie channel! They made 7 & one of them is the Road to Bali! Your Escape from Batam Island reminds me of another movie, Escape from Alcatraz! Hope you have better luck escaping from Batam!! Take care of yourselves....lots of love, Mom xxx
ReplyDelete