Thursday, 3 March 2011

The leaving one country for a new one ritual

Al and I have so many things in common like a love of travel, trying new things, movies, sports (I like sports damn it!) and so much more...but with all of this, there are some things that just don't quite match. For example, whenever we leave a country we have just visited, as it is time to fly to a new and exciting destination, Alex is full of excitment and anticipation. Her levels are at 100%, whereas I am just not there. I feel quite flat and a bit nervous even. My levels are at 0%. It would appear, after a discussion about this that Alex likes to give each new place a chance to be great or not so great by allowing them to start at the top of the class where as for me, countries have a lot to prove.
I was looking back at some previous blogs to investigate this hypothesis further and this is a theme...for example, New Zealand did little to impress me in those first few days, but by the end I was aching to stay and not ready to bid adieu to those gorgeous islands. I now recognize that I was mourning Australia and probably mourning the fact that we are getting ever closer to our journey's end. I was like this with Indonesia when we first left Singapore as well and even India way back when we began this adventure. I cried for goodness sake a day into our time in Delhi (but to be fair Delhi is kind of a shit hole and I'm just being hoenst).
So here we are today in Chile, in our final continent with a measily 5 more countries left to explore before there are no more places left on our itinerary and we return to England and although we get to see our loved ones whom we have missed dearly (and I will get to see my family a few months from then), it will be a sort of a mourning period to leave behind this past year.
How do people come back to their old lives after such an experience? We have both tried so many new activities, met amazing people, tasted exotic foods and pondered new careers. We all know that I have pushed myself to try many things that are WAY out of my comfort zone, but Alex has done this as well, especially with the scuba diving it would be such a shame to stop pushing ourselves and trying new things just because we return to London and the lives we left behind.
Now, I hate those "life is a journey" and "life is like a roller coaster" speeches that we are subjected to during our graduation ceremonies and pretty much any ceremony where we come to the end of one thing and start another so I refuse to use such a cliche...I am very cool after all. But, I will say this and I quote a very good sond lyric, "every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end." For me, this just rings sweetness to my ears and makes me feel good on the inside and with all the apprehension we have going back home trying to plug our new selves into our old lives we cannot help but feel a bit afraid.
We play around in discussions about dream jobs and frolic in dream lives with changing this and that. We all know that I have vascilated between opening an animal rescue in India, to becoming a scuba instructor, to opening a hostel and becoming a tour guide, to being a barrista in some random coffee shop, to becoming a veteranarian, to teaching English somewhere, to...well it just goes on and on. While, Alex the more realistic one has remained stedfast in her commitment to becoming a personal trainer and working towards a career in health and fitness with a side of tri-althlete just for shits and giggles. Despite our very apparent differneces, we share one main commonality and that is the desire to be those people that actually do it and not just talk about doing it...you know...let's all say it together...feel the fear and do it anyway. And, since this is a beginnings end, I think it is high time for a new beginning. Don't you?

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, despite all your travails, you really are a "glass half full" kinda gal! Here's to new beginnings!! Lots of hugs, Mom xxx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.